No other Louis Vuitton handbag is more recognizable than the Monogram Speedy Bag. From the 1930s to today, it has become a timeless it-bag, loved by women all over the world.
It was born in the ‘1930s , as a revisitation of the Louis Vuitton Keepall travel bag. The name Speedy wanted to emphasize the new way of traveling of the Louis Vuitton company, more and more fast and oriented towards the future and innovation.
The success of this accessory comes in the 1960s thanks to the young actress Audrey Hepburn who fell in love with her and asked the Maison for a slightly smaller customized version, the Speedy 25 model.
She was inseparable from his Monogram print model! It was much appreciated by the female public so as to become a real it-bag in a short time! Audrey loved it because of its classic style and proper proportion, and women love it because of its size and versatility. In fact, can be worn with just about anything, from a formal night out to casual jeans and t-shirt to pajamas.
The Louis Vuitton Speedy bag, in almost a century of life, has been the subject of numerous experiments. That is to say that, over the years, there have been important collaborations with contemporary artists and designers who gave birth to many decorations (such as monogram graffiti, fluorescent roses, multicolor monogram, cherry blossoms and much more). However, the classic Monogram print remains the most desired it-bag.
Anatomy of an icon
The classic Monogram Speedy bag is crafted from one piece of timeless monogram canvas around the body of the bag, with vacchetta rounded handles and trim. For this reason the orientation of the monograms is different from the front to the back of the bag. 😉
It has a golden padlock, to which it is possible to anchor the zipper. The grip is solid and comfortable thanks to the double handle with a rounded shape, usually in leather. There is also the model with the shoulder strap that is called Speedy Bandouliere. Inside the bag, you’ff find a flat pocket applied to the cover to hold the necessary.
The speedy is available in different sizes:
– Speedy nano: very light and very small, suitable to contain the bare minimum
– Speedy 25: perfect dimensions (worn by Audrey Hepburn)
– Speedy 30: medium size, slightly larger than 25
– Speedy 35: medium size suitable to contain all the indispensable
– Speedy 40: perfect dimensions for those who love large volume bags and also suitable for traveling.
- 8 Tips to Spot an Authentic Louis Vuitton Speedy Monogram Bag
- The Evolution of Gucci Trademark
- Hermès Blind Stamp updates: from 2015 to 2019
- The 5 It-Bags To Invest In Right Now
- Silk Scarves Knots Tutorial: Square & Ring Knot.